Wednesday, January 27, 2010

GIANT KILLER BEES IN TERRITORY ! HANKY PANKY ON CASUARINA BUS

Regular readers of Little Darwin will recall our recent post lampooning gullible Americans for their hysteria over the media beat up claiming giant killer bees were heading north of the Mexican border. In our piece we tied in the fact that a web had claimed a “swarm ”( a term normally applied to bees ) of plovers, birds, had attacked Minister Rob Knight near the parliament building.

Well, this writer was travelling on a bus when the biggest bee he has ever seen started angrily bumping up and down the window, trying to escape. Sitting in front of me were two young tourists, possibly Germans, studying a guide to Darwin. From time to time , the steroid stuffed bee came dangerously close to the woman’s bare shoulder, unbeknown to her.

With my claw, I tried to flick the bee away , wanting to prevent a nasty experience for overseas tourists in Darwin town. Luckily, the girl did not see my paw near her neck , otherwise she may have thought I was a furtive, arthritic groper and screamed for the transport police.

With honourable intent, I took the snotty handkerchief from my pocket and grabbed the angry bee, not far from her ear. The passenger behind me who looked glassy eyed when I first sat down,soon after sneezing all over me, started mumbling. I suspect he has things buzzing about in his head and objected to me grabbing one of his pet, errant neurons.

Sitting there with the crazed, Turkish wrestler- sized bee in my hanky, I tried to look nonchalant . When the bus finally came to a stop, I jumped up and violently shook the hanky so the bee could escape. Passengers probably thought I was a grey haired weirdo waving at Old Father Time. Only the Thunderbirds know the things I do for international rescue.