Tuesday, July 30, 2013

EXODUS / DEJA VU / CLOSING CREDITS - Peter Burleigh's Memorable Bulldust Diary Nears End

In his  noble  Pajero ,  Burleigh  handles   Bruce  Highway

 Attrition   strikes  again. True to the culture of  Queenslanders, Boonie  leaves  in  time to attend  a  Rugby International game in  Brisbane.  After  travelling thousands of kilometres together, the final division of  food  and  other stuff  is  a bit like a funeral wake. He’s keen  to  get back for a rest (and  to  avoid  my cooking, I suspect), and  plans to leave from  Brisbane a  few days later on a trip to Lake Eyre! Marco Polo, eat your heart out. Boonie says he’s had enough of dirt roads  so I’m unsure why he’s heading out to Lake Eyre, where I understand   that  dirt  is endemic.

  We started  in  Kununurra,WA,  with 15 people, now there are  two. Next  morning Harry and  I find the  van  park  has  emptied by around 60%. It’s a shock, as if the place has been swept by a plague. I guess this  is the last weekend of the tourist season. Out on the road, 4WDs and their vans swarm  out of  Karumba and onto the highway and  head  south  and east. It’s an exodus, but is  it an  exodus  of  lemmings? Lucky there are no cliffs within a thousand kilometres or  they might drive off.  At the Tavern  the echoes are  eerie, emphasised  by  the empty sweep of  the empty view over  the  empty Gulf. Two days  ago  the  bar was packed; at  lunchtime  today Harry and  I are  the  only customers. The barmaid  is  bored. I guess this means  it’s over.

Our   return  to  the  East Coast will  be  nothing  new ; lots of  déjà vu and  not  nearly as much  bulldust. If  there are doubters  among  my  readers  I invite  them  to  visit  me  for  an interminable show of  photographs  which  substantiate  most  of   what I’ve  written. Oh  wait – I’m busy that  night. My final message to you is: should you ever come across   a gentleman in a dirty grey-and-pink striped shirt, do not automatically  push  him  aside  or  into  the  gutter – it  may  be MrJW*, who I believe is saving up for a new shirt.  * This unsolicited compliment is expected to generate another tax-deductable donation to the writer from MrJW, who is advised to make contact to discuss further opportunities for positive press coverage.  NEXT :  Bermuda becomes delirious when crown jewels threatened  - saved  by   miracle  drug.