Tuesday, April 12, 2016

WORLD EXCLUSIVE: MY DRINKING COBBER WILL SHAKESPEARE


Doubting   fops  and  vassals  will  undoubtedly  fall  about  laughing  on  reading  this  strange sonnet  by  odd  bodkin Peter Simon .

In writing , an  artistic Canadian  woman  living in Adelaide  who  also happens to be a respected pre life  therapist   informed  me  I  was  a  promising   young   writer  who   mixed  with  William  Shakespeare  and  his   theatrical    crowd ,   political  activists ,  poets  and   rowdies ,  debating    and   quaffing   ale    late   into  the night.   Due  to  my  involvement   in   politics   and    polemical    speeches   that
   I  made- plus  the action  of  “a  traitor”- I  became  depressed   and    suicided.  (Exeunt left .)  


As  this year  marks the   400th  anniversary of the death  of  my  mate  Will ,  thou  couldst    knocketh  me   over with  a  quill  during a  recent    round  of   North  Queensland   garage  sales  in which I  stumbled  across a  circa  1882  worn  copy  of  Sir  John  Gilbert's  illustrated  Shakespeare , with 500 engravings  by the Brothers  Dalziel, in which was loosely inserted a faded, numbered  view of a  river,  not  the  Bard's  Avon as I remember it at Stratford  where I went  swimming  in  my codpiece  during   Pommie   heatwaves .



 Sir  John's 1881  drawing  of   Shakespeare  in  the  book ,  plus ye  olde  mystery  photograph .

An artist and  illustrator,  Sir John  Gilbert  (1817-1897) did  work for the London Illustrated News and  Punch  . Worn,  the  Routledge  book , 675pp, insected , has a 1939  US patented  Brodart fold  on  jacket  cover . 
 

While all you doubting Thomases  are  still guffawing over  my close association with  Shakespeare  , let me tell  you  a story about a certain Dutch clairvoyant in Darwin  afore  Cyclone Tracy who told  me  to be careful of  my legs in the future . What a  load of old  Dutch  cobblers  , thought I . Came the night of tempest   soon  after, the house started to blow apart and be bombarded from end to end  ;  a section of  a flying  roof  exploded  through the loungeroom , I  was  slashed under the knee , narrowly  missing the artery ,  the  cut   later described  by  a   doctor who stitched me  up  as  looking  as if  it had been  caused  by  a   razor .  Scar to show .  So  there .
 
 Don't  think  it is worth mentioning that  the clairvoyant had also  told me to pose a  secret  question  in  my  mind  and she would give me an answer ...  After a short   spell  of  concentration , she   gave me  the  vital  information - YES .  Still have  not  won  the $100,000  Sydney  Opera House  Lottery ( no longer run, methinks  )  , the subject of my query,  and  I  am  way  past  three score and  ten years , at  the  final  stage  of   the  seven ages of  man , looking increasingly like Bottom in the bathroom  mirror  , without the garlands , attractive to Curlews but not  fairies ,  sounding  like  him  at  night in bed ,  oft  heard  braying  in  front  of  TV . 

With all this current chatter  in the media about Will's demise , I intend placing the  exceedingly rare  past  life  therapist's document  on ebay  and  no doubt it will sell for  squillions , enabling me to fly business class  to  London , where I will take up a suite in The Ritz  and   haunt antique shops , boot sales, junk shops , auctions , bookshops old  and  new , fairs .

 Postcards galore will also be bought  to send back to Australia  as a food parcel   from the Mother Country for   Gary  Davies on Magnetic Island who dreams about  seductive  postcards  at  night.


Naturally, I will call on the clownish Lord Mayor of London, Boris, who I recall  made a nuisance of himself  at The Globe  in Shakespeare's  day  . I well recall Will shaking his head and time and time again uttering, in despair, the expression: "Alas, poor Boris, I knew him well ,  before he became a head case ." 
 

When the  subject of Shakespeare   came up on  yon  Q&A last evening  , passionate  damsel  Germaine Greer,    apparently not overly keen on truck drivers  , expressed  her  love  and  admiration for  him , declaring  his  work  keeps  Britain sane , a  brave  statement indeed  in  these  times  of  global  madness  and the  outbreak  of  Panamanian  Pox . She also wrote Shakespeare's Wife.
 
Furthermore , because there were no cameras  when Shakespeare  trod the boards at The  Globe  , there is no certainty  about  various   engraved and painted   representations  of  him , such as the  following one which was  suggested  could  just be   the  real  McCoy on the superb  BBC Antiques  Roadshow , which  is  how I remember him through bloodshot eyes after a week on  penny gin.  
 
 YE  CUTTING  FOOTNOTE
 
Journalist Kim Lockwood liked the above folderol until he saw mention of Germaine Greer  as she had  once launched an attack on his father, Douglas , see  previous post about Prince Philip and the dead  crocodile ,  accusing him of being a misogynist over something written in his 1962 award winning book, I, The Aboriginal, about Phillip Roberts  , of  Darwin , which was  made into a film.


 (On the other hand,  a review in the American  Anthropologist , by  Arnold R. Pilling , Wayne State University ,  praised the book . He declared  the  anthropological orientation of Lockwood and another Darwin reporter , Lionel Hogg , in their writing was  outstanding ; he would  place Lockwood's book in his special collection , likening  his  work   to the  early  reports of   journalist   Charles F. Lummis on the American Southwest who founded the Southwest Museum . )
 
Kim's comment  reminded me of the time back in the 1970s  when I attended a packed meeting  in  the Sydney Town Hall where Germaine , greeted like a goddess, especially by female university students who had been campaigning  along  with some  male  students, unshaven faux wenches in skirts and floppy hats,  to open  men only tiled  hotel  bars to les girls , written up by me in the Sydney Morning Herald
 
A concerned  gent  stood up and asked what could only be described as a saucy and leading question of  Germaine . After stating  that he had been subjected to the Judeo-Christian  act of circumcision , he wondered if she , through experience , thought it  made  any difference in  love making . The question caused a titter to run through the assembly, an expression rarely used nowadays.
 
Germaine assured him he had nothing to worry about because of his short back and sides...expert information which no doubt brought relief to many others in the  hall.